Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Matters of the Flesh

Shirtless and with the top of my jeans pushed down below my hipbones, I stood before the plastic surgeon’s studied gaze. Photos were taken from all angles. As he prodded gently at the flesh around my hips and buttocks to assess whether the fat there could be used to construct a new breast, I tried concentrating on the posters on the wall and feigned composure. But the most awkward moment was yet to come.

“Lie on the exam table and raise your feet and legs slightly,” he requested. He stood over me, both hands on my stomach, thumbs alarmingly close to my belly button, and pulled my fat up toward the ceiling. This is as scientific as it gets for plastic surgeons when it comes to judging the ability to use a patient’s own tissue for breast reconstruction, apparently. Never a fan of having my stomach touched even at the best of times, I focused all my energy on not squirming as he assessed his potential materials.

“The issue is that there is quite a bit of, er….volume in your breasts...” he began awkwardly.

“Oh! Right – no, no, I definitely don’t want to be as big as I am now,” I said, relieved that he had at last released his grip on my stomach fat. “Smaller is fine. In fact, I see the ability to stop needing to safety pin the gaps in my button-down shirts to be one of the big benefits to come out of this whole experience.” Once again, humor serving as my metaphorical hospital gown as I lie flat on my back, exposed on an exam table.

After each plastic surgery consultation, I have walked away reassured that I should be able to achieve a satisfactory cosmetic result from my reconstruction. But they have also featured moments of almost comical humiliation. One surgeon drew all over me with a Sharpie, à la Dr. 90210, pointing out that my nipples should actually be about an inch higher than they are. It took the better part of a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a pack of cotton balls to scrub away the marks from that one. Another described my breasts as “long,” not exactly the adjective one hopes would characterize these particular body parts at the age of 33.

And although my first surgeon described me as “too skinny” for the stomach fat transfer alternative (I thought about asking him to put that in writing so I could frame it for posterity), that did not stop him from being able to pinch what was clearly well over an inch as he stretched my belly fat skyward.

Now that I am nearing the end of chemo, with only 2 sessions left to go, I must make my decisions about surgery, which my doctors have advised me to schedule about 4-6 weeks after my final chemo treatment. Due to my genetic status, I will be having a bilateral mastectomy. Thanks to advances in medical techniques, I can have what is known as a “skin-sparing” mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, which means I will wake up from surgery with some sort of breasts in place. In theory, these can be made from either my own tissue or from implants. In practice, since I am having both breasts removed, implants are probably my best option.

But I still have an array of choices to make over the next few weeks, which means more appointments with more plastic surgeons. Michael and I are planning to celebrate the end of chemo with a trip to Miami in late March for the wedding of friends – despite these upcoming consultations, I will probably be able to muster the confidence to avoid spending all my time there in a giant flowered muumuu, but I will definitely be packing the rubbing alcohol and my most supportive underwire bikini.

5 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

11:01 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

11:04 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

11:06 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

11:09 PM  
Blogger بروكر said...

I definitely love this site.
https://prokr2020.cms.webnode.com/
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/prokr2020
https://prokr2020.doodlekit.com/blog
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home