Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Masquerade

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I am not tempted to buy clothes. This is partly because I know my body will be different a few months from now. These changes may be both good (shirts will actually button over my chest without gaping!) and bad (they say that pre-menopausal women who go through chemo gain 15 pounds on average. Great - I can look forward to being bald AND fat).

But it's also because I have a newfound interest in accessories and makeup. Hats, sunglasses, scarves, earrings, lipgloss, eyeliner - I've bought them in multiples the past couple of weeks. I have no idea what to expect when I wake up on December 22, look in the mirror and find a hairless Courtney staring back at me. But I want to be well armed.

When I first got my diagnosis and called Kelly to tell her the news, she said all the wonderfully supportive and sympathetic things I knew I could count on her to not only say, but mean. Then in a more conspiratorial tone, she asked, "So, have you stood in front of the mirror yet with your hair slicked back to see what you'll look like bald?" I laughed - of course I had, even though it had been less than 24 hours since I had seen the doctor.

But it's hard to imagine the bald look. I do have a wig on order that will be ready this week, made of real human hair, highlighted like my own. I tried on a sample - it looked like me but with a better blowout. They can even paint in roots to make it look more realistic! (although it occurs to me that I am not sure who I think I will be fooling, since the existence of this website is proof that I am hardly a closed book...)

But people say you get tired of wearing the wig all the time. They can be hot and uncomfortable. Most women strip off the wig the minute they walk in the door, trading it it for a knit cap to stay warm inside. And on weekends running errands, I imagine I will be fine with just throwing on a hat. But I think I may need the armor of dangly earrings and fabulous sunglasses to truly feel ready for my closeup.

In the absence of bald shots or "real" wig pictures, I will leave you with one potential look - if there is a problem with the one I have ordered, I always have the option of wearing either one or both of the wigs that transformed me into Cruella deVil for Halloween*...

*shown here with Susan as a Palm Beach Bag Lady, Gretchen as a geisha, Bill as George Washington and an unidentified ghoul at the 69th Street Halloween Block Party

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should sport the George Washington wig occassionally for a change of pace. I'd love to see how the checkout cashier at the grocery store would respond!

hugs and kisses
Gretchen aka the Geisha

11:40 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

11:06 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home