Monday, January 01, 2007

All the Trimmings

"At least yours will grow back," has been the sympathetic comment from all the follicularly-challenged men in my life, foremost amongst whom is my brother Matt.

They tell women undergoing my particular brand of chemo cocktail that the hair loss is like clockwork - you can expect to start "releasing" on Day 14. Sure, I had the wig, the hats, and the variety of headpieces that can help me disguise my nonexistent strands all to hand just days after starting chemo in mid-December. But as I sat in the chair at the wig shop for my initial trimming and fitting the afternoon of Day 14, every one of my own hairs in place, I thought maybe I was going to be the exception to the rule. My hair has always grown fast, I reasoned. I am handling chemo really well so far - no nausea since the first night, normal appetite - and although I certainly don't want to jinx myself, I did allow myself the glimmer of hope that perhaps I could get out of this particularly nasty side effect as well.

Later that night, when a casual "running my hands over my hair" maneuver resulted in about 40 strands on my hands and sweater, I had to accept that this was one I would not escape.

Matt was coming to town the next day, December 23, razor in tow. I was completely prepared for him to shave my head, but also knew that this was the last chance I would have until December 27 to have the wig correctly fitted to my head (it sits differently when you have no hair). Although I could hang on with thinning hair for a few days, I didn't want to wait too long, or to find hair all over the house. When Michael discovered a few strands in the butter on Saturday morning, we all knew it was time.

After brunch at Tavern on the Green with Dad and Michael, Mom and Matt accompanied me to slightly less traditional and one-time-only (I hope!) Christmas event - we went to get my head shaved. Matt kept me company and distracted me from the mirror, assured me I looked beautiful, and briefly tried to talk me into keeping the "bangs only" look with the rest of my head bald. He was also the photographer - as you can see from the photos, there were no tears, only smiles.



I don't recommend trying this at home, but it is nice to know that my head is a normal shape - my wig stylist told me to thank my mother for turning me over in the crib as a baby. This means it's a lot easier for me to feel comfortable going bald around the house (despite the fact that standing at my shoulder tonight while I was sitting down, Mom said, "Hmm, from this angle, you DO look a bit like an alien...")



Luckily, I have Wanda. Real human hair, bangs to hide the hairline, in "harvest blonde" to help prevent my skin from looking sallow as my treatments progress. In the silver lining category, I have gone from shampooing every day to once every 2 weeks. My morning routine has been cut in half. And if I tire of shoulder-length harvest blonde, I can always pick up a new pixie platinum, brunette bob, or raven waves. Suggestions accepted below...

21 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Courtney, your brother was right -- you do look beautiful. And radiant. Whether harvest blonde or brunette bob, I say cheers to accessories! And bigger cheers to a healthy 2007.

Love,
Lina

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hottie! the only word for you + Wanda. -MOA

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always fancied you as the mowhawk type. Plus, biker-glam is *so* in for 2007....just saying.

Much love and positive vibes to you and Michael. MP

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have a lovely head! all good wishes for the new year. x

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney,

You look absolutely gorgeous! Don't get me wrong the new honey blonde locks look beautiful but i have to say the Sinead O'Connor look definately works for you! Hee hee! I hope that you, Michael and the rest of the family had a lovely Christmas, and all the very best for 2007! I also hope there'll be some pictures of the Pink Wig and Pyjama 'Hogmanay' combo to follow!

All my love, always,

Veila xXx (Jim and Lesley too! xXx)

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, beautiful, you really look beautiful. I think it is your positive energy pushing through. I am hoping that you will continue to feel better than expected throughout the treatments. Happy New Year!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney,

It's redundant, but it's true. You're absolutely beautiful. In addition to the physical, your energy, your optimism, your humor and your courage all radiate from you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Michael and your family. You are an inspiration to others.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to hear you so positive and upbeat. Much luck
Beth

1:38 PM  
Blogger Trisha Ekstrom said...

I love the picture of you facing the mirror. Wow!

-Trisha

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you look beautiful too!

Ashima

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney,
Bald really IS beautiful, on you!!!
You are such a dear to share all of your cancer experiences with us - I hope you know what an inspiration you are and I thank you for bringing a smile to my face with your humor, optimism and grace.
my best to you,
Karen Dunn

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a push-over for redheads; any chance ...?

Don

2:26 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I think you look beautiful both bald and blonde! Cancer may get your hair, but it won't get you!

Yankeedownsouth

9:42 PM  
Blogger Beauty Chick said...

You and your brother look like twins! :)

Sending you our love,
Gretchen & John

1:34 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I haven't checked the blog for a while and FINALLY got to see the amazing pics of your beautiful head. You look great (actually, slammin') with and without the wig!
Love,
Rachel

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. I've never seen you with bangs before! Ned says you look like "that woman from 'sex in the city'" specifically, the hottie Samantha Jones (that was with the wig. I actually think you look outstanding bald...I suppose that'd be cold these days though!

Cheers to you,
Kristen and Ned

11:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You look like Claire Danes there, Courtney! Really really beautiful. My wife also looks like a celebrity whenever she wears her front lace wigs. She styles them to match the hair of famous movie actresses. One day she's Angelina Jolie, the next she's Julia Roberts. That's why I'm very much okay with her penchant for lace wigs. I actually buy them myself for her.

11:15 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

11:01 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

11:03 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

11:06 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home