Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Inheritance

My father used to joke that the strong resemblance between the women in our family hints that men had no involvement in our creation. When I was eight or nine, there were four generations of women still alive - my great grandmother was a redhead before her hair turned grey, my grandmother kept her black hair for most of her 78 years, my mother was a brunette until a recent decision to lighten things up, and I am a (now chemically-enhanced) blonde. But we all look remarkably similar - same noses, same foreheads, similar mouths.

The first thing most people asked when I told them my diagnosis is “does it run in your family?” I understand why – before I had to become an armchair expert overnight, I also thought that not having much of a family history meant I had very little risk.

But experts believe that only 10% of all breast cancers are hereditary. All cancers are related to the genes, but most are “sporadic” – it’s impossible to determine why the genes malfunctioned.

But as our family photographs prove, the gene pool does not lie. I received the results of my genetic testing yesterday, and I tested positive for the BRCA1 gene.

This does not come entirely as a surprise. My grandmother had breast cancer at the age of 76, which is so late in life it is not even considered "family history," especially since women's lifetime risk is as high as one in nine. But she had a hysterectomy in her 30s, and ovarian removal could have put off the onset of the cancer. It could also have come from the other side of the family - although there are so few women on my father's side that it's hard to identify a clear pattern, the gene can manifest itself in men as skin cancer, which has plagued his uncles.

In a strange way, the news is almost a relief. There are far fewer questions about a treatment plan - I will have chemotherapy, followed by a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction using implants. And at least I know why this has happened to me at the age of 33. It also makes it easier to answer seemingly innocuous questions like "does it have to do with diet?" (to which I occasionally want to respond, "You know, you're probably right - if only I hadn't eaten those 5 cheeseburgers the summer of 2003!")

I don't really resent the questions, though, because I understand the need to lay blame, the comfort in theorizing how to avoid it. I played the same game when I got my diagnosis - I immediately started trying to figure out "what I had done wrong." Which is ridiculous, because if we could isolate that, then we'd be a lot closer to a cure than we are today.

No, all I did was to be born into my family, which is something I would never change. Sure I inherited the gene. But I also inherited my mother's writing skills and singing voice, my father's intellectual curiosity and debating ability, my grandmother's energy and analytical business mind, and my grandfather's love of family and joy at starting new projects. I am what my family has made me, imperfections and all, and for that I am truly thankful.

Best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and your families.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney, thank you for telling us in such a kind way what the "wrong" questions are. I am glad only that you got some information that will enable you to make a decision. I admire how you can remember the wonderful things that you inherited too. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well. With love- Sara

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney, Michael, and family:

The power of family is strong - and we are blessed to have such wonderful families. My family will be thinking of you all this Thanksgiving.
Makes me wish my folks still lived in DSM - so I could see you and give you a hug!
With love,
Kyra

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney, I don't think it's strange at all. I'm BRCA-, so I'm still wondering what I did to cause my cancer. Was it those 5 cheeseburgers I ate in 2003? I don't know! So I do understand what you're feeling.

Dawn (from YSC)

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney - I'm also really happy to read your 'cause for celebration' entry. It sounds as encouraging as we can hope! And happy thanksgiving from 'down under!' Lots of love from Jennifer

2:53 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

11:03 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

11:05 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home