Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Eggplant

Last Wednesday, I had a core needle biopsy and a bilateral ultrasound – the full breast on both sides and not just the lump this time. The radiologist’s assistant was the same woman who examined me a couple weeks ago - I recognized her by her hat. I have been paying a lot of attention to hats this week. The hair that sticks out beneath her floppy hat (am I imaging the flower?) looks like her own – maybe she wears a hat to show solidarity with the women she is imaging? Perhaps she doesn’t have time to blowdry? Surely it’s not just a kooky Punky Brewster affectation? Is this what people will think of me when they see me out to dinner in a hat a few months from now? At least it will be winter when I go through chemo – maybe I will be cut some slack.

She explains the procedure to me: “First we will take an ultrasound of both breasts, then the radiologist will come in to take some tissue samples.” It is my third ultrasound in three weeks – other than being a little ticklish when she runs the device (which looks like the ID scanner at my gym) over the outer sides of my breasts, it is no big deal. She even turns the screen toward me so I can see – always the student, and it beats looking at the ceiling.

Someone once told me that radiology as a specialty attracts the misanthropes - all slides, no sympathy (note to my friends in med school: I don’t mean you!) At first, this radiologist seemed to fit the mold. Lots of questions and instructions for the assistant: “Did you check the nodes? When you work with me, always check the nodes. Is the clip ready? No, I need the other kind. Where are my steristrips?”

She runs the scanner all around my left armpit, and the black and white images that appear on the screen seem to relax her. Maybe it helps that I am paying attention and looking at the screen as well: “It’s good if it looks like a horseshoe. See the white bit in the middle? That is what a normal lymph node should look like.” The news seems good. “I can only say that morphologically, things look fine. The nodes do still need to be tested microscopically.” Still, this sounds better than “You are a walking tumorous timebomb,” so I will take what I can get.

Next, she preps me for the biopsy: “You will hear a loud noise like a staple gun. But we use a numbing agent, so you won’t feel pain, just pressure.” Kindly, she suggests I may want to close my eyes while she makes a small incision for the needle. I watch on the screen as the probe finds its way to the tumor. “Loud noise,” warns the assistant. POP. I manage not to jump – the warning helps.

This happens three more times. The only disconcerting part is that two of the four times, I feel a slight splash of liquid on my chest and face when the tissue sampling occurs. The second time, I mention it in response to their standard “How you doin’?” query: “Okay, but…umm…I just felt something squirting on me. Maybe that’s normal?” Again, trying to be blasé while lying flat on my back on a table. I may need to get over that. They reassure me they see nothing. Later, as I wipe the minute bloodspots off my face in the bathroom mirror, I rationalize that perhaps they just thought I had freckles.

At the surgeon’s suggestion, the radiologist also inserts a titanium clip into the center of the lump, since sometimes tumors respond to neo-adjuvant chemotherapy by disappearing entirely. Unfortunately, this does not mean that surgery can be avoided. They still need to remove some tissue for tests and to ensure the areas around the tumor are clear. The clip ensures that they can pinpoint the tumor’s location in the event that it disappears.

I reveal that I have taken Advil in the past 7 days (after all, I was out dancing in a bar on Friday. And I thought I was in the clear!) “You can expect to see some bruising,” the radiologist warns. “That left breast could look like an eggplant in the next day or two.”

“Well, that should make for a great anniversary weekend,” I say weakly. “I guess I can just wear a nice bra.”

Suddenly, the doctor remembers she is human. “How long have you been married?”

And I can’t shut up. “Six years, but we’ve known each other for thirteen. Our anniversary is on Saturday October 21 – the same day my grandparents got married. We met in London – he’s English. I studied over there. We are going away for the weekend – I know that we are driving, so it must be somewhere cold, so at least I won’t need to wear a bikini or anything like that. Michael planned it as a surprise for me, before all this happened…”

Her hand is on my shoulder as the assistant finishes taping up the gauze. “Sweetie, you are going to be fine. You are young and strong. It’s not going to be easy, but the hard part will be over soon. Relax and enjoy your weekend.” I look into her eyes as she gives my shoulder a squeeze, and I believe her.

We did have a fantastic weekend – Michael planned a lovely getaway to Wheatleigh in Lenox, MA. We hiked, meandered around the little New England towns, relaxed in the gorgeous hotel, admired the changing leaves, and celebrated our sixth anniversary over a delicious truffle-infused dinner with our friends, Ursula and Enore.

And luckily, the doctor was wrong about the effect of the biopsy. It’s a slightly lurid yellow-green bruise, roughly the same diameter as the tumor. More like a hickey than an eggplant. Although we are far too grown up for such things, it does somehow seem appropriate as a visible reminder of a fabulous anniversary weekend.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Court -

I guess it's an AmEx day! I love that you are writing this - you shine through so loud & clear and it makes me feel close to you. I also loved your reasons for writing. Here are my reasons for reading:
*I want to cut straight to the hug when I see you
*I care, and I want to know what is going on without having to ask you for details when you don't feel like talking
*You inspire me with your courage, vitality and love of life that comes through with every word
*Reading this makes me feel like I'm getting a hug from you
*I like watching the good guy win
*You make me proud to know you

xo Jean

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney- thank you for putting this together and sharing all of these details. It makes me feel like I am right there with you--- I am happy you are "oversharing". I hope your appointment today went well. This sounds incredibley scary and I admire how you are taking it on. You are so lucky to have so many loving friends and family around you who care about you. I am sending you a hug from out here in california and wishing you the best in the weeks and months ahead.

Also, I don't know how much I have told you about the place where I am working but we provide information and support to people touched by breast cancer. Even though you are miles away, we do have some great services you could use. One is a buddy program where we match you with someone like you--ie a young woman with a similar prognosis. You could just talk on the phone. Also, we have a woman who is a breast health educator. She performs research for anyone free of charge. She doesn't make any suggestions but simply provides you with the information to make decisions and understand the choices you are being offered. If you want to learn more, go to our site at www.cbhp.org. Everything is free. I have many wonderful stories about people your age...let me know if you are interested.

with lots and lots of love-
Sara

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney, (and Michael too, obviously!!)

I want you to know that you have a lot, lot, lot, of love and best wishes comming from your "wee cousin" all the way over in Germany. Your blog is so informative and reassuring to me, and, it has to be said you have a real flair for the written word. Another string to your bow... leave a few for the rest of us eh?! I am so proud of the way that you're facing this, confidently and well informed, just as i knew you would.

I'll be thinking about you.
All my love, always,

Veila xXx

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A hickey? Your Mother is reading this, don't forget. Love xx, Mom

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you are such a cutie! See you on Saturday!!

xoxo
Matty

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney-

I found your blog on the YSC bulletin board. My breast was definitely full blow "eggplant" after my biopsy. I had taken some Aleve a few days earlier for cramps...oops.

I too started writing when all of this began, both because in that first 48 hours it seemed to be the only thing that I could do, and like you said, it has been a beautiful way to share my experience with family and friends. (My boyfriend and I have been taking lots of photographs too.)

Thank you for your writing. It's late. I can't sleep. You've made me laugh (and cry).

Be well-

Trisha

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

savings period rendered defaults undergo exhaustive dittrich syllogism hopes efficient taxonomy
lolikneri havaqatsu

2:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

10:59 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

11:02 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

11:05 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home