Monday, October 23, 2006

The story so far: How I found out

On September 17, 2006, I felt a lump on my left breast while I was taking a shower. It was big enough to feel pretty easily (I was not doing a breast self exam) and a little tender. I called my gynecologist to make an appointment, and saw her that Thursday, September 21. She was not overly concerned, but advised that I get a breast ultrasound. She said that if it was liquid-filled, it could be drained then and there. Otherwise, they might need to take a biopsy.

I had my ultrasound on Wednesday, September 27. The radiologist said that since it was palpable (to which my inner response was “yeah, no kidding, I felt it ten days ago”), he advised a fine needle biopsy (done with a little needle with no ultrasound guidance required) rather than a core biopsy (bigger needle, requires local numbing agent, ultrasound guided). I called my gynecologist and asked if I should schedule the biopsy at the same facility, but she advised that I meet with a woman she recommended who is the head of the Breast Center at St Luke’s-Roosevelt, just in case.

I could not get an appointment for the week of October 2 and traveled to Los Angeles with Michael for the weekend of October 7 to meet his brother Stuart and Stuart’s girlfriend Anna, and then went straight from there to Las Vegas for work for a couple of days. So the first appointment I could get was Friday October 13. Fortunately (unfortunately?), I am not superstitious.

Friday, I had meetings in the morning and afternoon, and left work around 3 to go meet Dr. Rosenbaum Smith at St Luke’s-Roosevelt. After an exam, she took a fine needle biopsy, and also did an ultrasound. At the time, she assured me the lump looked like a normal fibroadenoma, nothing to be concerned about, and probably would not need to be removed unless it grew beyond its current 2.7 cm size. She said she would call with the biopsy results on Monday, and we set up a follow-up appointment to check on its size in December.

Michael and I spent a lovely weekend feeling very relaxed, reassuring my parents and the few close friends I had told about the lump that it looked like I was going to be fine. We met friends out for drinks on Friday to celebrate my friend Sorrel’s visit to New York from Cleveland and her upcoming move back to London. We took endless goofy photos and danced on the banquettes at the bar. Saturday night we cooked for our friends Greg and Sophia. Sunday was spent eating blueberry pancakes and reading The New York Times with Sorrel and another friend, Karin, in New York for a brief visit before heading back to her UN posting in Sudan.

I went to work Monday feeling renewed and ready to take on the challenges of a couple of different projects now that the scare was behind me. Until I received the phone call around 2:30 that afternoon from my doctor: “I’m calling to tell you that your test came back positive for cancer.”

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney,
I just wanted to let you know that Cyrus and I are thinking of you and are sending our most enthusiastic wishes for your swift recovery. We'll drop some food by your building this weekend so if you're not still at 221 W. 82nd St. Apt. 14F, please just let me know with a quick email. If you are, then no need to write. Sending love and prayers for your speedy recovery,
Cyrus and Carolyn

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have NO DOUBT you will get through this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Liz

11:12 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

10:59 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

11:03 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home