Saturday, September 01, 2007

Shameless Fundraising

It's been 10 months since my breast cancer diagnosis. I'd like to think that throughout, I maintained a brave face. As promised in The King and I, the results of the deception have had the desired effect - the "happiness in the tune" I've been whistling have (mostly) convinced me that I was not afraid.

Many of my colleagues and acquaintances had no idea that I was undergoing chemotherapy from December to March - not totally surprising, given that a good wig, makeup and attitude meant that this is the version of me they saw every (seen here with Mom on Mother's Day, just two weeks after my surgery and two months after my last chemo treatment).

But now is the time in the telethon broadcast when Sally Struthers comes on and the tone turns serious. As many of you know, I am doing a major fundraising bike ride for the Young Survival Coalition at the end of September. The YSC provides research, community and information to women under 40 with breast cancer, and has been an invaluable resource to me in my education and my fight this year. All the funds I raise for the 200 mile, 3.5 day ride go toward the programs offered by the YSC.

Although women under 40 account for a small percentage of overall breast cancer diagnoses, breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in women age 15-54. While being "young and healthy" when I was diagnosed might possibly have contibuted to making it easier for me to handle some of the nastier side effects of chemo, it also meant that my cancer was more aggressive and further along than it likely would have been if I had been in my 50s. Fortunately my doctors did not blow it off when I mentioned the lump, but a lot of women I have met through the YSC were not so lucky - it's shocking how many of them were dismissed as being "too young to worry about this" when they raised concerns with their doctors, and were sent away. A year or two later with a larger lump, they would finally be sent for a mammogram, at which point the cancer was more advanced than it would have been if they had been taken seriously in the first place.

The YSC works to raise awareness of young women's breast cancer in doctors and the public, and also provides research on related topics that are most relevant for this population, such as risks to fertility as a result of treatment, genetic predisposition to the disease, and long-term survivorship issues.

Many of you are aware of the event and have contributed generously, and I am grateful for your support. I am plugging the ride again in this post because I anticipate a few new visitors to the blog, as I am sending out a broader fundraising email this week. And since I know a few people may be surprised to hear that I was sick at all, this is the "seriously, I was really sick, even though you may not have been able to see it on the surface" photographic evidence taken the day after my surgery (and the day before what little remained of my brows and lashes finally gave up the fight).

They are back, as am I, strong as ever. The support I got from YSC made a big difference to my mental health, and now that my physical health is back, I want to return the favor. If you would like to contribute, please click here.

Assuming that I a) make it in before dark each day and b) am not too exhausted from riding up hill and down dale just 5 months after my surgery, I am planning to blog from the road. Our first day of riding from Hershey, PA is Friday, September 28. On Monday, October 1, we do a ceremonial ride from Central Park to the CBS Early Show plaza for a special appearance around 8 a.m. ET. I will keep you posted on the details in case anyone wants to join live to cheer us on, or to tune in to the show.

And now we return to our normal scheduled broadcast...to include current updates, photos and a travel report just as soon as I can get through my usual 100-item-long to-do list, which now prominently features a few last minute training rides!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - at this moment you're the 9th highest fundraiser for the event. With everyone's generosity, I'm sure you'll soon be top 5!

12:13 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

11:15 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

11:18 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home